an attempt at using a photo blog to "do small things with GREAT love..." - one photo at a time.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Second Sunday of Lent


title:Obedience
date: summer 2008
location: US Pilgrims Mass, Sydney, Australia

From today's reading:
and in your descendants all the nations of the earth
shall find blessing—
all this because you obeyed my command.


commentary: Hands held together palm to palm, aka prayer hands, has been a common prayer posture for thousands of years, even practiced by pre-Christian Jews. This posture symbolizes obedience, fidelity, loyalty.

In the first reading today, we read that Abraham finds blessing with God because he obeyed His command. I remember reflecting at the beginning of this year, that this year would be a year of obedience. It has been tough so far. And parallelly it has only been through prayer that I even get close to being obedient to God.

When we look further into the history of this prayer posture we see this deeply moving connection. As highlighted by Pope Benedict in his book "The Spirit of Liturgy," obedience goes Hand-in-Hand [pun intended] with trust:


The recipient of a feudal estate, on taking tenure, placed his joined hands in those of his lord - a wonderful symbolic act. I lay my hands in yours, allow yours to enclose mine. This is an expression of trust as well as of fidelity.


How amazing it would be, if we prayed this way... I lay my hands in yours.

Now, next time you bring your hands together in prayer, maybe it will mean so much more. I know it has for me.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP