an attempt at using a photo blog to "do small things with GREAT love..." - one photo at a time.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

First Sunday of Lent




title:Death in the flesh
date: February 5, 2008
location: Outback Steakhouse, Pinole, Ca
Shot with camera phone

From Today's readings:
Beloved:
Christ suffered for sins once,
the righteous for the sake of the unrighteous,
that he might lead you to God.
Put to death in the flesh,
he was brought to life in the Spirit.


commentary:So, this isn't the most deeply moving image that has appeared on this blog. I know. Work with me. See, this is a picture of my own personal Carnevale, farewell to the flesh, for last year's Lent. Man, was that good. And I remember being only weeks days into Lent, with this picture on my phone, and I was just salivating - almost viciously craving meat.

Today is the First Sunday of Lent. Many of us probably aren't "suffering" for what we gave up yet. Maybe some of us are, others may have broken their Lenten promises already. Me? Yes, I'm craving meat already. But it's okay. More than my physical needs, I know this Lent is going to be challenging for spiritual needs. I want to do what the Gospel calls today, put to death the flesh, and live in the spirit. Let me share with you a reflection that has helped me get through my cravings of the flesh. Remember, whilst you crave things of this world, Christ craves you.

And hopefully, when Easter comes, you won't run as quickly as you can to that snickers bar, or to that secular music or to that sin you so deeply lust for. Maybe, just maybe, you will run as quickly as you can to the empty tomb. With great anticipation and a pounding heart, hopefully, we will all run to the Risen Christ.

Crave Christ.

Happy Lent Sisters and Brothers.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP